The Alaskan Klee Kai Association of America, Inc. (AKKAOA), requires that all members subscribe to the following Code of Ethics to promote and foster the highest standards among breeders, owners and fanciers. AKKAOA is an Association devoted to the continued protection, betterment, advancement and welfare of the Alaskan Klee Kai; the following Code of Ethics is predicated upon this fundamental philosophy.
1. I believe and accept that the protection, betterment, advancement and welfare of the breed as a whole supersedes personal, competitive, or financial reasons for owning an Alaskan Klee Kai.
2. I accept the Breed Standard, as approved by the United Kennel Club (UKC), as the current Standards by which Alaskan Klee Kai shall be bred.
3. I will comply with and maintain current information and records of my Alaskan Klee Kai as required by UKC.
4. I will demonstrate good sportsmanship by being respectful and courteous in my words and conduct at Shows and other Events. I will offer encouragement and guidance to interested persons or novices, recognizing that the future of the breed depends upon sharing of accurate and knowledgeable information.
5. I will not knowingly slander or seek to damage the reputation of other owners.
6. I will be honest and factual in all my communications, either written or verbal, as well as in any advertisements or promotion of the Alaskan Klee Kai. I will honor all written contracts, agreements and guarantees.
7. I will strive to assure good health, sanitary living conditions, and proper nutrition throughout the ownership of my dogs; including following a program of routine veterinary care, seeking medical attention when needed, and educating myself about preventative measures for current medical issues, pertaining both to my location and to the breed in general. I recognize the possibility of euthanasia as one of the responsibilities of dog ownership, and will not tolerate unnecessary suffering or inhumane treatment.
8. I will comply with all laws applicable to ownership of dogs in my community.
9. I will not knowingly sell or trade dogs to wholesalers, retailers, pet shops, medical research facilities, or agents thereof, or to unethical persons whose intent is questionable to me. I will not offer Alaskan Klee Kai or stud services in auctions, as prizes, or for raffles.
10. I will screen buyers to the best of my abilities to ensure a safe and loving environment, and a life-long relationship with any dog I sell or place.
11. I agree to furnish a description, in writing of any warranties or special considerations regarding the health of any Alaskan Klee Kai I sell or place, including a guarantee that the animal is free of communicable diseases at the time he or she leaves my control.
12. I agree to breed my Alaskan Klee Kai only to other UKC Registered Alaskan Klee Kai which are an asset to the breed, demonstrated by being structurally and temperamentally sound, and displaying no disqualifying faults.
13. I will breed my Alaskan Klee Kai only after it has properly matured, and only as often as is consistent with good health under the dictates of sound veterinary standards.
14. I will require the spay or neuter or any puppy which display disqualifying faults, congenital defects, know hereditary defects, poor temperament, or other developments not in the best interest of the breed. An exception may be made if a licensed veterinarian declares that such surgery may needlessly endanger the health of the Alaskan Klee Kai.
By my signature on this document, I certify that I have read, understand and agree to abide by the Code of Ethics of AKKAOA, Inc. I agree to act in accordance with this Code of Ethics at all times and understand that contrary actions may be grounds for severe disciplinary actions, up to and including possible expulsion from AKKAOA.